Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Day 2: Kusel & Ramstein

Guten tag!

It is currently 11:55PM over here, which means it is 5:55PM in the states. I forgot to mention in my last post that we are 6 hours ahead, which is why my sleeping schedule is so jacked! I think I'm slowly starting to adjust, though.

Today we visited Lichtenberg Castle, which is located near Thallichtenberg in the district of Kusel in Rhineland-Palatinate, about 20 minutes away from Eunice and Andy's home. With a length of 425m, it's the biggest castle ruin in all of Germany. I thought that was pretty sick. Also it was built in 1200 and I'm all about old architecture, so needless to say I was super intrigued. Check it owwwwt.






Eunice and I :)






Pulled this photo off of Google so you can see the castle in its entirety. 

I think this is the best photo I've taken thus far. This is the view from the top of the huge tower (see previous pic). Isn't it breathtaking? I like how the little birdie got in the shot.

Me standing on one of the castle's ledges. I thought I was going to fall/pee myself.

Next we went to Ramstein Air Base to exchange some currency and do a little shopping (my favorite, haha). Since it's a military air base, the only people allowed entry through the security gates are military personnel and their families. Peter and I had to get temporary passes before we could enter.

This place reminded me of the movie The Truman Show (you know, the one where Jim Carrey lives in an artificial world enclosed by a giant bubble and finds out he's actually on a TV show). I guess it's because it's isolated and has everything you need -- shopping mall, grocery store, etc. -- in a seemingly compact area (although now that I read Wikipedia, it's a lot bigger than I had assumed). I don't know, maybe I just watch too many movies. Anyhow, everything here in Ramstein is sold at a discounted rate, another one of those bonuses for those who serve and their families.

Exchanged $150 and received 111.45 in euros. You can't really tell in this picture but the bills are different sizes. Their money reminds me of Monopoly money.

Entrance to the mall area.

Entrance to the Commissary, where we got our groceries.

Finally, we headed back home to eat a delicious dinner and to spend some quality time together.

Hilarious coaster that Eunice and Andy have in their kitchen. If you turn your head upside down you can see that it's an optical illusion. Left: "before 6 beers" Right: "after 6 beers" HAHA so true. Beer goggles are forreal, y'all.

Peter and Andy spending some manly time together grilling ribs. They are twins. Actually, triplets, since Andy already has a twin..... oh and his twin's name is Peter. If that's not freaky, I don't know what is. Maybe my brother is his brother's doppelganger.

A glass of Ouzo, a Greek Anise that tastes just like licorice. It is initially clear, but when you mix it with ice, it turns into this milky/cloudy color (as pictured) due to a process called opalescence. Purrrrdy cool, but purdy nasty. Not a fan of licorice.

Andy's ribs + Eunice's flamekuche = Peter happy


Some interesting things I've learned/seen/HEARD today...
1. The reason I write HEARD is because I woke up to a freaking bobcat last night. It greowed (growled + meowed?) so loudly outside of my window. I'm pretty sure everyone else just thinks I'm crazy but I know my bobcats man.
2. Almost everyone here drives either a BMW or Mercedes Benz or another nice European make.
3. The sun doesn't go down until 10PM. This is not a joke. IT'S AMAZING.
4. German houses rarely have air conditioning. At first I was a bit taken back, like hell naw I love my A/C, but the weather is SO nice here that you don't need it. The houses retain cool air very well. In fact, I'm actually kind of cold right now.
5. Germans <3 American music. They play the same teeny bopper crap that we play on the radio.
6. In order to be buried in a cemetery after you die, a family member (or someone that must really love you) has to lease your spot. It's not like in the US where we are laid to rest in one plot forever. They don't pay, you don't stay. This means that you don't see very many old graves here. I'm not sure what they do with the bodies when people stop paying, though....
7. I forgot to mention yesterday that at Speyer Cathedral, there are 8 emperors and kings buried in the basement. Conrad the Second was the first to be put to rest down there. Check out his picture... he's got a pretty gnarly beard.

It is now 1:47AM. Don't know if I'll make it to the gym in the morning bahaha (just kidding, Eunice, please wake me up!)

P.S. We're staying in BELGIUM this weekend!!!!! Yay for waffles, chocolate, and beer :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment