Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Day 1: Speyer & Landstuhl (Home Sweet Home)

Hallo!!!!

Soooooo, I've created this blog, solely for the purpose of documenting my 3.5 week stay in Europe. Maybe I'll continue posting after the trip, maybe not. But either way, enjoy! Also, be sure to check out my dad's blog if you're interested in knowing what my family's up to. I'll be posting all of these same posts on his blog as well.

It's 4:17AM here right now, and I'm having trouble going to sleep due to the time change, so I figured now is the perfect time to post about our first day in Germany.

I'm going to chronicle our eventful day mainly in pictures and captions.

Our first picture in Germany!

Right after Eunice picked us up from the airport, she took us to this cute little town called Speyer, which is about an hour away from her home. Look at how adorable this place is!





While in Speyer, we got to visit the Speyer Cathedral. This cathedral is literally a thousand years old and is a UNESCO World Heritage site. So amazing!





One of the only times I'll ever see Latin (my minor in college)....

Engraving done by St. Norbert of Xanten, 1000 years ago.


We didn't realize it until Eunice told us, but Peter can legally drink over here. The drinking age is 16! So, of course we had to buy some beer on our first day!

Eunice ordered me a Radler -- pretty much beer + sprite. It was delicious and refreshing.

Peter had some kind of light beer.

Speyer is apparently well-known for their Annual Pretzel Festival. We got there a little too early so we didn't get to participate in the fest but it was nice to look around.


Next, we went to visit the Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, where Andy works. It is within walking distance from their house, although it's quite a hike (in my standards). I was out of breath and dripping sweat by the time we got there, but it was well worth the amazing view of Landstuhl.



We met up with Andy at the hospital, and all of us walked back home together. Andy took me and Peter to grab dinner from this place just down the street, called Ali Baba Kebab Takeaway. We ordered these giant wraps (I forget what they're called...), sort of a cross between a giant taco + gyro, filled with calf, veggies, and special spices. It was freaking delicious. I didn't even pause to take a picture of it because I was so hungry.

Some interesting things I've learned/seen today...
1. German autobahns: basically highways. There is technically no speed limit (although advisory speed is 130 kph or 81 mph), so cars driving in the left lane are flying. You can feel the impact when other cars pass by you, and they drive so fast that they're gone within the blink of an eye, literally.
2. They don't just give out free water like they do in the US. Apparently water is often times more expensive than beer/wine here, so obviously people are going to opt for alcohol. Also, they don't really drink regular water like we do. They drink carbonated water, so seltzer water essentially.
3. Germans are very efficient, smart, and green. One example I can think of off of the top of my head is their toilets have 2 buttons for flushing; the smaller button is for if you just urinate, and the bigger button is for... larger loads. It saves water.
4. Using public bathrooms is rarely free (unless you're at a restaurant and you're actually eating there). Weird right?
5. This place is all about RELAXATION. It's so unusual to me.... Don't get me wrong, all I do in the states is relax, but it's unusual to see the people AROUND me just enjoying themselves. When we were at the cafe in Speyer, there were so many people (kids, adults, elderly) everywhere just laughing and drinking AT 12:30PM ON A TUESDAY! It seems like no one works here; obviously this isn't the case but it is very apparent that the Europeans have an easygoing lifestyle compared to Americans. Their standard of living is much higher than ours, without a doubt.
6. So. Many. Bikes. (And trails, for bikes.)
7. Rouladen shades: this type of blinds is very common German homes. They are in every window at Eunice's. Made from some kind of metal, it blocks out all sunlight. If you have them closed during the day, you'd never know it was light out.

It is now 4:48AM. I need to go back to sleep before Eunice wakes us up in 5 hours.

Gute nacht! Or should I say guten morgen...

0 comments:

Post a Comment